From the pages of Safe Horizon – this is the list of items a person should collect to have ready to leave at any moment:
- House keys
- Car keys
- Order of Protection
- ATM card
- Money/cab fare
- Credit card
- Green card
- Work permit
- Public Assistance ID
- Mobile phone/coins to use in a payphone
- Driver’s license & registration
- Social security card
- Your partner’s social security number
- Medical records
- Address book
- Insurance policies
- Important legal documents
- Police records • Record of violence
- Baby’s things (diapers, formula, medication)
- Children’s school and immunization records
- Birth certificates
- Non-perishable snacks for you and your children (e.g. juice and crackers)
- Important phone numbers including the Safe Horizon Domestic Violence Hotline: 800.621.HOPE (4673) (If you are not in New York City, call the national hotline at 800.799.SAFE (7233)
I am not sure about you but I am hard pressed to find my phone sometimes! During a time of extreme stress and fear – how difficult is is to remember ALL of the items on this list. Then the person leaving for their lives has to make sure this bag is not some how discovered by the abuser.
How ready would you be to leave everything in your life that is familiar? At a moments notice?
Sue Rock Originals Everyone is a 501(c)3 not for profit organization.
Classes in sewing, knitting and crocheting happen through your financial support.
Give and give generously to keep this vital work going!
Donations can be received through Paypal at suerockoriginals(at)yahoo.com.